Wednesday, November 18, 2009

kicked butt my first day of teaching!

It went well! I am teaching two classes, two hours each, twice a week. My first class is 5 just-graduated nursing students, so early 20s. My second class is just two women, mid 20s.

I actually prepared a pretty good lesson plan for the short notice I had. I went in cold, without knowing how many students I'd have, their language level, etc. So I had to think on my feet a bit to figure out what would be good to start with. We ended up playing some fun games to get them talking in English a lot, I copied a short article out of a RyanAir in-flight magazine I had from when I went to London (the only English material I had in my room, haha) which we read through, found tons of new vocab words, summarized, etc. I also wrote an essay prompt resembling some SAT essay question, and gave them 20 minutes to answer, and I collected them and am going to correct and return them.

We discussed our goals for the class, what things they would most like to learn. Medical vocab, verb tenses, verb conjugations, conversation and reading and writing skills. Grammar is going to be hard for me, I need to study quite a bit before I can teach it.

Looking forward to this! It is fun work, prepping lesson plans and trying to keep them engaged and learning and focused for 2 hours straight. And I'm earning money too, which is glorious as I was starting to feel very frugal about my money which is disappearing fast here.

Should be a fun experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment